The new officially-next version of DSSAT v126.96.36.199 (released in 2003) will be Version 4.6 – which we plan to release in2015.
In the mean time, many builds of DSSAT v4.5 have served as interim/working-progress alpha-versions and distributed to a limited number of users and developers for mainly training and testing purposes over the years.
If you can’t wait for DSSAT v4.6 in your work and want to try new features and modules we’re working on, you can ask to download a latest copy of v4.5 now.
Few things to note first. Your request/download of DSSAT v4.5 will constitute the acceptance of our terms. Please read it carefully!
- Please keep in mind that this is NOT AN OFFICIAL RELEASE of DSSAT; this is rather a pre-release/test-build of the upcoming official version of 4.6.
- Hate to say, but download and use this version at your *own* risk. Please be careful when you use v4.5 in your research. Feedback is always welcome, but we do not hope to see publications related to the performance issues of this unofficial version. If you must, please consult with us in advance. Thanks in advance for your understanding.
- Not only there are some known issues that we are committed to clear up in v4.6, you may find an unexpected bug or two; if you do we’ll be much appreciated if you report back to us.
- We provide v4.5 as the first public distribution of DSSAT from the new Open DSSAT initiative (by the DSSAT Foundation), which provides the crop modeling software packages at no charge (Yes, free). Just fill out the form below with your real contact information and tell us how you’d use DSSAT in your work as specific as possible. And, keep in touch with us through the forum, Listserv, and/or this website when you have any question/issue/comment. That’s good enough for now!
- One last thing. Please request only one copy per person. Sorry, but duplicate requests will not be processed.
Please complete the registration form below to receive the download instructions and notifications of future updates. Upon our quick review of your submitted information we’ll send you the download instruction to your provided email. Hence, please, please double-check your email address in the registration form. If you experience any technical problem, please tell us and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
As a working version, unfortunately there is currently no official documentation specifically available for DSSAT v4.5. However, you may still find the user manuals for DSSAT v3 useful. After installation, you can find all four volumes of the manual in PDF at [DSSAT45\Documentation]. Other related useful publications can be also found in the Documentation folder.
How to Cite
If you use DSSAT in any report or publication, please include following two references:
- Hoogenboom, G., J.W. Jones, P.W. Wilkens, C.H. Porter, K.J. Boote, L.A. Hunt, U. Singh, J.L. Lizaso, J.W. White, O. Uryasev, F.S. Royce, R. Ogoshi, A.J. Gijsman, G.Y. Tsuji, and J. Koo. 2012. Decision Support System for Agrotechnology Transfer (DSSAT) Version 4.5.X.X (Replace X.X with sub-version numbers in your output files) [CD-ROM]. University of Hawaii, Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Jones, J.W., G. Hoogenboom, C.H. Porter, K.J. Boote, W.D. Batchelor, L.A. Hunt, P.W. Wilkens, U. Singh, A.J. Gijsman, and J.T. Ritchie. 2003. DSSAT Cropping System Model. European Journal of Agronomy 18:235-265.
Especially for the first reference, please make sure to include the full four version numbers (e.g., 188.8.131.52) in the citation. As there have been several builds of DSSAT v4.5 distributed over various development stages with changing codebase in different parts of DSSAT, it will be necessary to clearly identify exactly which build of the model was used, so that your research results can be later reproducible by others (Needless to say, this is the fundamental duty of any scientist!).
Where to find the version numbers?
Easy! Just open any DSSAT output file (e.g., Summary.OUT) and you’ll see the four sets of numbers in the first line.